Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Idea's Anyone?

I was blessed in on February 22nd, no doubt about it. However I have a problem that I need help in solving.

All of my 104 COE Glass survived in tact - my Gaffer Glass not so much. The reason that my 104 glass defiantly survived is because of the fact that, when I set up my storage shelves in the garage, I ran a wooden wedge underneath the bottom front of the shelves so that they leant back towards the wall. Thank goodness that I did.

The reason I did this was really just to counter balance the weight of the glass where it overhangs the front edges of the shelves being aware from past experience with any laden shelves that it can cause them to easily tip forward. I pretty much have every large piece of furniture wedged in this place, primarily because I have always found that carpet edges don't provide an even surface for furniture that is against walls to sit on & because we rent we aren't allowed to put holes in the walls....& therein lies my problem. The easy answer would be to use brackets & screws to secure shelve & cabinets making them as earthquake proof as possible.

Now that I'm as ready as I'll ever be to tackle the job of assessing the damage to the rest of my supplies in my studio area & set things up again I'm also trying to figure out how to secure the taller shelving.

Unfortunately one my taller shelves that housed my supplies of pretty much everything else glass related didn't survive the same treatment of wedging & fell over breaking & damaging a whole raft of things. I've lost frit, enamels, chemicals & bead release,  the majority of which can't be replaced locally, & even though I imagine insurance will cover most of it I'm a little reluctant to restock my shelves unless I can make things a lot more secure.
I've drawn a blank - the "no holes in the walls"policy is creating a mind blank that I can't get past as quite simply I know what I'd do if this were my house.

Does anyone have any idea's?

10 comments:

:-) MaryLou said...

It would take some rearranging of your space, but the easiest way to support the shelves without attaching them to the walls would be to attach them to each other. If you attach them in L-shaped configurations, they won't have a way to tip over.

It's sad that you lost all of that - hopefully your insurance will come through!

NLC Beads said...

Poor glass and poor you! I like the L-shaped shelves idea... I'd probably be defiant and attach to the walls anyway, thinking I could patch later if needed prior to any inspections.

Deb said...

Mary Lou - brilliant idea!! Thank you :)
I'm not sure why I didn't think of that because my tall cupboards in my studio (rather garagio! lol!)are in an L formation to divide the studio space from the garage space. They aren't secured - but they didn't tip!
One that is facing in the same direction as that shelf jumped forward 6" though (as did my desk with the kiln on!!)...I'm still trying to figure why it didn't tip.

Deb said...

Nikki - I'm with you!! I've always though rules like that were rather ridiculous - but can see why landlords make them. Having renovated a couple of homes myself I'm not inexperienced with patching & painting - however this crowd of property managers does inspections every 3 months....& now after every major shake as well.

Still, damage was done to the walls with stuff flying off things so maybe they'll be more open to suggestion.

Helen said...

Oh dear! I can understand if the walls are wallpapered, it's a bit tricky if you start drilling holes. I like the L-shaped idea. Otherwise. Maybe investigate a 3M solution with their hooks that don't damage the wall? A few of those and some No8 wire should do the trick ;-)

Re replacement Gaffer, I like to pick out my own rods so that I get the sizes I want. Lemme know if you need a hand picked job done for you at Gaffer.

Deb said...

LOL! Helen #8 wire indeed ;) More reliable by far than the 3m hooks (if the framing & glass repairs we used to get at work are anything to go by).

Thanks for the offer with the Gaffer - I usually just have to take what I'm given & sometimes it can be a little frustrating....
I might just get in touch when insurance coughs up :)

Helen said...

Good ole Kiwi ingenuity!

Just sing out when you are ready. They are just down the road so it's no trouble. I like to get a mixture of 2-3mm and 4-5mm rods, which I don't get the choice of if I don't go direct to them.

carol said...

Don't know if this is possible for you, but I store my glass in an old upright freezer, which can have a padlock put on the outside of the door. I am very happy that you are safe and sad that you lost your glass. I was in Christchurch near the cathedral during the earthquake on vacation, as was very lucky to be unharmed. Hope your insurance comes through, not a day goes by that I don't think about Christchurch and everyone there.

Sharon Driscoll said...

Hey Deb - I cut platic rain spout to length and then put them into a plastic crate that has a lip. When the crate is set on a table for storage it automatically tips it back so nothing can fall out.

PS I am so glad you are okay - well, under the circumstances kind of okay.

Patty said...

Sharon's idea for glass storage is brilliant, Deb. I might suggest that for other things you might consider some kind of lower-to-the-ground storage in furniture that has closing doors. Around here we've got a rubber band on the cupboard that houses fancy dishes and glasswear, and at least it would keep things from flying across the room, and might even prevent some breakage.

I hope that your insurance comes soon!