Monday, June 07, 2010

The Fire Within

Sometimes you make a bead that you are inordinately pleased with. Something about it just calls you & for whatever reason, you dont want to put a price on it & list it.

This is one such bead.

If I didn't know better I'd call it a happy accident. But it wasn't, not really.
I'd been trialling the corals & reds of some new to me 104coe glasses I'd recently received.
Having worked with 96 coe for so long I'd forgotten just how shocky 104 can be. I'll be honest, I work hot & forget to pre-warm the canes ;)
At the end of the torch session I had a whole lot of 'bit's all over my work area & decided to utilise them along with the short ends I had left.
A clear base, three shades of red/coral, some silvered ivory stringer, a bit of intense black & a lot of intense heat & there you have it.

It looked good going into the kiln - it blew me away when it came out. I love mornings like that.




4 comments:

Bobbie Pene said...

A very interesting bead. It looks like natural stone. Did you use your shocky pieces as a frit?

Jinx Garza said...

Gorgeous! Love the story of its accidental creation.

Unknown said...

It's wonderful, Deb!

Johwey Redington said...

This is absolutely gorgeous. I would love to see you in action. Definitely would be an interesting sight!