Thursday, June 17, 2010

Winter Walk

Sometimes (not very often!) it pays not to have a car. With an objective in mind, & a practical pair of trainers on my feet, I went for a walk....

Heading out of the suburbs towards the motorway

Fortunately there is a good path along the side of the motorway!
While I love open, airy spaces I'm not to thrilled at the prospect of getting wiped out by speeding traffic ;)


The plantings aren't too bad either, good use has been made of a lot of NZ native plants.


Toitoi

Ti kouka (Cabbage Tree)


Harakeke (NZ Flax)


Not so 'Native NZ' - beautiful Eucalyptus across the motorway


I could just see the snow capped mountains in the distance


Bare Poplars


Almost at my walks destination & heading back into suburbia


At least this suburbia isn't too built up. I tried to catch this horses attention.


Instead this lovely girl came over & visited me.


After a visit to the Garden Centre it was time to turn around & head home again, retracing my route 3km (1.8 miles) & heading back into the suburb  I live in.




Is it just me, or is there something rather incongruous about the bare trees & the tropical looking palms...




Oh I can almost see 'home' - not being used to trainers, my feet are ever so pleased!!



Still, sore feet or not, a lot of the sights would have been missed if travelling by car.

1 comment:

Right Turn ArtWerks said...

It looks like you had a wonderful walk...keep going and don't forget to keep including the photos : - ).