Monday, April 20, 2009

The Soul Speaks and Listens

Two of my favourite quotes seem, to me, to go hand in hand.

"The soul speaks in image
." Carl Jung

"Mere colour, unspoiled by meaning, and unallied with definite form, can speak to the soul in a thousand different ways
." Oscar Wilde

Colour impacts ours lives.
Whether we know it or not we absorb it, seemingly subconsciously , our very inner most selves mulling it over, associating it with various objects then transforming it into an image.

Whether that image stays inside us or is put out there, if we know how, in one artistic form or another - is entirely up to us.


Often it can be the other way around - we see an image of think of an object & immediately associate a colour with it... & so it goes on.
No wonder colour & imagery has such a great impact on our lives.

A dreary Sunday down under found me peering around the garden for something to focus on - surely I could find some colour there...
Of course I did find something ; a small & persistent Nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) obviously transported here via a pot from my last garden winding through, around, under & over a row of stacked unused terracotta pots.

Bright & perpetually sunny, thankfully oblivious to the fact that everything else in the garden has died off in anticipation of winters approach!










So although I can't provide the answer to Mallorys' wish of a plant with two different types of flowers on it - I can suggest Nasturtiums that often have multiple, distinctly different colourways all on the one plant.
(Will have to work on the Raul & his steaming shirtless body for you too Mallory.....)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are just beautiful. Nature always comes up with the most stunning combinations! I need some of these in my garden.
:O)

angelinabeadalina said...

I can just picture it winding in, out, up, around, and through the pots, Deb. It's such a pretty flower. I really like the thickness of the leaves and the blooms, at least it looks like it has some velvety weight to it. I also love the starburst-like pattern of the veins in the leaves. You're so right about color and images being wound in, up, around, and through our minds, too. It's very hard to separate the two. Who pictures a simple swatch or blotch of pigment when a particular color is mentioned? Not I. Color is such an integral part of our world that it is hard to find words to describe it without using similies and metaphors. I'm off to sub for the day, but my mind is sure going to be wandering (and probably wondering, too) through images and colors, seeing whether or not I can find any that can be separated :)

rosebud101 said...

I love nasturtiums, but I do think that I would prefer Raul in my garden!