Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Truly Blessed

Every once in a while something will take your breath away. A wonderful sunrise, or sunset, an unexpected vista as you turn that corner in the road, a fabulous piece of art that just speaks to you.

Yesterday I had one of those moments.

It started about ten days earlier when I commented on Manuela Wutschke's blog. I've long been a fan of Manuela's wonderful work, she is a supremely talented glass artist, but had only recently started following her blog quietly & commenting occasionally. On this particular occasion Manuela was celebrating her & giving away one of her beads....oh my!!

I couldn't believe my eye's when Manuela left a comment on my blog that I had won one of her beads.

My bead arrived in yesterdays mail. I knew from the photo on Manuela's blog that it was going to be special, but nothing (not even Manuela's fabulous photography) prepared me for the reality of what I opened.
As I slowly unwrapped the outer packaging & saw the elegant & sophisticated box & 'Business card' (a mini work of art in itself) I just knew that what I was about to see was something extremely special. I was right - that first view of it literally took my breath away.

Sitting against it's black velvet background was a work of art. To call it a 'bead' doesn't seem to give it the credit it deserves, it appeared as a rare & precious gem - yet far more beautiful than any diamond or sapphire that I have seen.
The detail & depth in it, provided by the layers & layers of glass just drew me in & I realised I was holding my breath.

I eventually picked it up & looked at the other side (two works of art on one canvas). As I let it nestle in my hand, it imparted a distinct feeling of someone who is passionate about what they do with glass. There is no other way to describe it.

Needless to say that I still really can't believe that I am the owner of this bead (although the jewelry designs started popping into my head right away) - I just keep looking at it in awe.

I tried taking some photo's outside, in order to catch the way it glitters when the sun catches it but I haven't done it anywhere near the justice it deserves, the sun has made the colours look washed out. The best photo is on Manuela's blog - here.




A pale representation of the the sight that greeted me when I opened the box.




Not small! But the detail is amazingly fine & perfectly executed.



A slightly better representation of the colours.



Manuela is not only a supremely talented artist, she is also an absolute sweetheart.
Thanks a million Manuela :o)

4 comments:

Payton Jett said...

what a gorgeous piece of artwork! How lucky you are!

I'd love to see what you end up doing with it! Are you going to make something out of it?

Manuela said...

“People love others not for who they are but for how they make them feel”

Irwin Federman

I can only say: Thank you for making me feel so happy :-)

Mermaid Glass said...

OMG, it's beautiful!!! What a wonderful gift.

rosebud101 said...

Deb, that is an amazing bead! My jaw is literally dropping.