Thursday, October 16, 2008

A letter to the Editor


In the rush of day to day life, the hustle & bustle of trying to fit everything we think we need to do in, we often forget that it can only take such a simple gesture to touch the lives of others - sometimes our presence is just enough & we don't even know it. Imagine what a smile or greeting to a stranger, when we have no idea if they are feeling lonely or a bit down, has the potential to do.

This was bought home to me recently when a "Letter to the Editor" that was published while the Paralympic's were on was passed on to me.

"Sophie changed my life"

Three years ago I moved here from China on my own. As do many new immigrants, I felt lonely & depressed.
One day I went to QEII to swim, and saw a young girl sitting there, resting. She was so beautiful I was shocked to see that she had lost her lower leg, but her face was calm and confidant.
Suddenly I felt so ashamed about myself. I was so healthy and lucky. Why be so easily upset by difficulties?
That day I went back home with a smile, and a descision to start a happy new life here.
Last week I read the paper and recognised the girl was Sophie, the gold medal winner at the Beijing Paralympics.
Thank you Sophie, for all the confidance and courage I got from you.
Nan Chen. Christchurch.


That Nan would pen a letter like that, something so personal & from the heart, to share in public just goes to show you how much even a simple gesture could mean to others.

2 comments:

rosebud101 said...

Wow! That is awesome! Sophie has influenced so many people world wide. Yet, I think, in her youth and humility, she doesn't know it. Go, Sophie!

angelinabeadalina said...

Isn't that amazing, just to know how much Sophie's confidence and persistence came through to this person and gave her strength?? Good luck to you in all your adventures in life, Nan Chen, for you are also an amazing person to be able to see what you saw and to use it to better your own life. Sophie, you are quite the young woman!

P.S. Hey, SurferGirl, I don't think there's any doubt in my mind that you live life thoroughly! When are you and the MailleMan going to go surfing?